Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I have black hair and I would like to get natural highlights. Any natural products?

Hi I am a Asian (Chinese) girl and I would like to get highlights. How ever I am not a big fan of the regulated hair dying system so are there any sprays that I could use for natural highlights that come in a spray format or a cream format that would show up on black hair and is natural. Thanks.



I have black hair and I would like to get natural highlights. Any natural products?

I am also Chinese, and I have very dark black hair (natural color is black with blue highlights that you see in the sun).



I once had a cellophane done in burgundy, but it only showed up in the sun, was temporary, and got all over the collar of my white jacket.



If your hair is dark, you have to have color "lifted" out of your hair before "depositing" a color into your hair, or else it won't show. (These are hair stylist terms.) Any other color on top of black just looks black. (If you get red or brown hair dye, unless there is peroxide which would bleach/lift color, your hair's dark color overpowers those colors.)



Of course there are spray on colors that you could use (like for Halloween), but these are not in "natural" colors, and leave your hair really stiff/crunchy (like maximum hold gel).



My recommendations:



1) Go see a good stylist, that is experienced with highlighting Asian hair. I have someone I can highly recommend in San Francisco, and one of the salon specialties is highlights and color. His name is Joseph Brabant, and has worked on my hair for years (coloring, multi-coloring, cuts, etc.).



At one point in my life, Joseph bleached out chunks of my long hair, then colored them purple (at my request). Then I had him change the dyed parts to deep burgundy (more "natural"). From there, I went to about 5 different colors, ranging from brown to red to blonde. (This was at least 5 years ago, and now so many Asian women are doing this.)



If you are in the SF Bay Area, the CitySearch website reviewing the salon and the salon's website are below.



2) If you're not in the SF Bay Area, find an Asian salon that is hip.



3) If you can't find an Asian salon that is hip, find a regular salon that is hip, and has someone with experience that can work on your hair (texture and color).

No comments:

Post a Comment